Dwyer-Hamilton Paralegal Services

Author Archives: Rodale Dwyer-Hamilton

Personal Injury

The WSIB works for you

Whether you’re a worker, a large employer or small business owner, we’re here to help.

  • For employers, they provide no-fault collective liability insurance and access to industry-specific health and safety information
  • For workers, they provide loss of earnings benefits and health care coverage
  • Both workers and employers benefit from the WSIB’s help and support when it’s time to go back to work after an injury.
Posted in: Services

Employment Law

Fairness in the workplace is the right of all Ontarians.

Employment standards are enforced under the Employment Standards Act, 2000 (ESA), which

sets out the minimum standards that employers and employees must follow.

The Ministry of Labour, through its Employment Standards Program:

  • Enforces the ESA and its regulations
  • Provides information and education to employers and employees, making it easier for
  • people to understand and comply voluntarily
  • Investigates possible violations
  • Resolves complaints

If you are employed in Ontario, you are probably protected by the ESA.

Employees who believe their employer has not complied with the law can file a claim with the

Ministry of Labour.

Let us help you.

Posted in: Services

Traffic Tickets

Traffic Tickets and fines are handled by municipally-run courts.

Common offences include:

  • Excessive noise
  • Speeding
  • Driving while under suspension
  • Driving without a permit
  • Disobeying traffic signs
  • Parking infractions
  • Not having proof of insurance
  • Driving under the influence
  • Trespassing

And more! Let us fight your traffic tickets.

Ontario unanimously passed legislation increasing penalties for drivers who text or use a

handheld phone while on the road, and who open their door into the path of a cyclist. The update

to the Highway Traffic Act also imposes a one-meter distance rule between motor vehicles and

bicycles — “where practicable” — and will force drivers to wait until pedestrians completely

cross the road at school crossings.

Distracted driving remains a killer on Ontario roads: OPP

Fines for distracted drivers has increase from the old range of $60 to $500 to between $300 to

$1,000, plus three demerit points.

Have you received a ticket under this offence recently? Contact us at inf[at]dhps.ca

Posted in: Services


Mediation is the negotiation to resolve differences that is conducted by a third and impartial party such as a mediator. Mediators help parties in a dispute to discuss and agree upon their own terms of settlement.  Mediation is a voluntary process and the parties in conflict must agree to participate.  The mediator then help the parties look for a solution that works for both of them. Mediators, unlike judges, do not decide your case or impose settlements.  The parties in dispute are the ones in control and plays an active role in making decisions that are customized to their need.

Posted in: Services

Landlord and Tenant

Having issues with your tenant?

Having Issues with your Landlord?

Not getting ‘reasonable’ enjoyment of rental property?

Noise disturbances?

Rent arrears?

We can help. Let us help you.

The Landlord and Tenant Board administers the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006. The Board is

responsible for providing information about the Act to landlords and tenants, and will resolve

any issues that the land and tenants are not able to settle on their own.

The landlord and tenant can file an application with the Board, and once the application is filed,

the issues will be addressed at a hearing.

Posted in: Services

Commissioner Of Affidavits

commissioner for taking affidavits may take affidavits and administer other legal oaths,affirmations or declarations within or outside Ontario, or subject to any territorial limit the Attorney General may specify, as permitted by the Commissioners for taking Affidavits Act.

Effective December 31, 2012, the Commissioners and Other Persons Who May Take Affidavits regulation will replace the current statutory designations of commissioners for taking affidavits by virtue of office. Commissioners by virtue of office may take affidavits without applying to the Ministry of the Attorney General for a commissioner appointment.

Posted in: Services

Immigration & Refugee



As of November 21, 2015, CIC no longer accepts the IMM5802 Offer of Employment to a Foreign National Exempt from the Labour Market Impact Assessment form. If your employer has given you a completed copy of this form, you must ask your employer to resubmit the offer of employment online through the Employer Portal.

Contact us for more information

Bill C-35, An Act to Amend the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act came into force on June 30, 2011 and paralegals who are licensed by the Law Society are now eligible to provide certain legal services in the field of immigration law. Paralegals who are licensed by the Law Society can appear before the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB) to represent a client or clients in an IRB hearing, and can provide legal services to clients for matters relating to an IRB hearing. 

Changes to the International Student Program

New rules to reduce the potential for fraud or misuse of the program, protect Canada’s international reputation for high-quality education and improve the services available to genuine students came into force on June 1, 2014. The new rules:

  • Limit the issuance of study permits to applicants who will be studying at a designated learning institution (DLI), including institutions that are designated by provinces and territories on the basis of meeting minimum standards;
  • Require students to actively pursue their studies while in Canada; and
  • Allow full-time international students enrolled at designated institutions in certain programs to work part-time off campus and full-time during scheduled school breaks without a work permit.

Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP)

Effective August 27, 2015, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) will not be accepting new applications under anyAINP Streams or Categories until January 27, 2016. This temporary pause will help the AINP assess existing applications in the queue and prevent the queue from growing further.

Applications postmarked after August 27, 2015 will be returned. Complete AINP applications postmarked on or before August 27, 2015 will be accepted for processing. AINP staff will continue to assess applications already in the queue. Visit the AINP processing and inventory page for regular updates on application processing and inventory status.

Posted in: Services

Small Claims

About the Small Claims Court

The Small Claims Court is a branch of the Superior Court of Justice, and handles nearly half of

all civil claims in the province. The Court has civil jurisdiction over monetary claims up to

$25,000, and provides an efficient and cost-effective forum for Ontarians to bring or defend

these claims. The Rules of the Small Claims Court provide for streamlined procedures so that

cases can be determined at a lower cost and in less time for litigants than cases commenced in

the Superior Court.

Typically, deputy judges preside over proceedings in the Small Claims Court. Deputy Judges are

senior lawyers appointed for a term by the Regional Senior Judge with the approval of the

Attorney General. Judges assigned to the Provincial Court (Civil Division) before September 1,

1990 may also hear Small Claims Court proceedings pursuant to the Courts of Justice Act. Every

judge of the Superior Court of Justice is also a judge of the Small Claims Court.

A Faster, More Convenient Way to File in Small Claims Court – Ontario Launches E-filing

Service for Fixed Claims $25,000 and Under.

Ontarians now have a faster, easier way to make a claim in small claims court with the launch of

a new online filing service. E-filing is a simple, convenient way to file a claim in small claims

court without entering a courthouse.

Individuals and businesses from across Ontario can now file small claims court forms and pay

court filing fees online, 24-hours- a-day. Claims that are eligible for e-filing include those set out

in a contract of $25,000 or less, such as unpaid accounts for goods and services, loans, credit

card debt and overdue rent.

Posted in: Services